Monday, January 7, 2008

De-popcorning




So, what do I do while waiting for plumbing to be complete...


First, I cleaned out the laundry room of all the previous owner's junk. Which was alot of paint and chemicals and fertilizer stuff which I took to the hazardous material recycling. I also found many tiles of differing style and forms (stone, granite, ceramic etc...) 7 gas cans, cleaning supplies, and a few helpful items for my renovations. In case any of you need tile or sinks or granite countertops let me know I have quite a selection to choose from and I can offer good clearance prices. If not, they're all going to craig's list (thank for the suggestion Cristy and Eric).


Then I organized the wood supplies we'll be reusing in the construction of walls, by size. I also took out nails.


Then I put some of the weed and feed from the laundry room on the yard.


Then...I'm not sure you can tell from the photos but in front of the Bird of Paradise plants in the front yard, there was a pond. It was small and fairly ugly and not really working anymore. So, I got rid of it. I took the rocks from around it and pulled out the liner which...turned out to be a waterbed liner, at least previous owners were resources, right??? I did feel bad for the little frogs, but I'm sure there is water around here somewhere. Then, the fun began. I started filling in the hole. I got about half of it filled with the remains of a stump that was mulched in the yard shared by me and the neighbor.


So, as I sat thinking of another project while watching the thermostat drop dramatically ( at least for a week or so) I decided to move the projects inside (though I'm not sure how much warmer a house with no floor is to outside). SO I started taking the popcorn ceiling down in the living room. My god what a freakin' ,mess. I actually bought a scrapper thing with a bag attachment to catch all the popcorn droppings, but I couldn't get even pressure across the scrapper, so I started using a paint scrapper. I would dampen the popcorn and then scrape. Most the time it would all come off, but sometime I would need to re-dampen and scrape again. Though no too time consuming it did create a broadcast white powdery mess everywhere. The pictures include popcorn to no popcorn, a scraped ceiling and a picture of the walkway with one sectioned swept and the white powdery mess everywhere else. I didn't not finish but got a good start.

No comments: